City of Philadelphia | Philadelphia Parking Authority Summary City of Philadelphia | Bureau of Administrative Adjudication

Pay by Web



PPA Main

Parking Ticket Appeals

As provided by Chapter 12-2800 of the Philadelphia Code (Traffic Code), disputes about parking tickets are resolved by the City of Philadelphia Bureau of Administrative Adjudication.

In general, a parking ticket, once properly issued, is considered prima facie evidence of a violation. In order to prevail in dispute, it is the responsibility of the registered owner of the vehicle involved or the person acting on behalf of the registered owner to present evidence and/or testimony to prove that the ticket was not valid. To locate the actual City of Philadelphia Code that applies, please visit the City’s web site at and select City Code and Charter in the section titled Transparency at the lower right of the main page.

The Philadelphia Parking Authority issues roughly 90% of City of Philadelphia parking tickets. The Parking Authority is also responsible for the City’s parking meters, for issuing Resident Parking Permits and for the installation and maintenance of parking regulatory signs. Under certain circumstances, ticket disputes involving matters that can be resolved by the records of the Parking Authority can be handled by the Parking Authority’s Parking Violations Branch (PVB). If your dispute involves a claim of a broken parking meter, or is that you had a valid parking meter kiosk receipt that should have covered the time when the ticket was issued, or that you had a valid permit for the location when the ticket was issued, your best approach would be to address the issue first with the Parking Violations Branch. To access the Parking Violations Branch’s web form for submitting that type of dispute, click here: PVB. You may also reach the Parking Violations Branch at 888-591-3636 or by mail to:

Parking Violations Branch
PO Box 41819
Philadelphia, PA 19101-1819

For all other disputes, you may appeal to the Bureau of Administrative Adjudication to have your case heard by a Hearing Examiner. You may do that one of three ways.

 You may request an in person hearing. To see your options for an in person hearing, click here.
 You may submit your case by mail. For instructions about how to submit your case by mail, click  here.
 You may submit your case by web. To submit your case by web, click here.